[APG Public List] history of obituaries

jfonkert at aol.com jfonkert at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 08:06:08 MST 2009

Does anyone know of a scholarly work analyzing the history of American obituaries?  I have seen a review for a book that dealt primarily with obits of well-known people in larger cities, but I am looking for something that deal with obituaries of ordinary people in both big city and small town newspapers.  I'd like to read about when they became common, how styles changed over time and regional differences.  If you can recomend something along these lines, please let me know.  Thanks.

Jay Fonkert, CG
St. Paul, MN