[APG Public List] Copyright and obits

Pat Asher pjroots at att.net
Wed Nov 4 14:11:52 MST 2009

At 03:00 PM 11/4/2009, LBoswell wrote:
>There is on the internet an unverified account of an attempted
>copyright suit between two newspapers. One was reprinting the
>other's obits. The judge threw out the suit saying that copyright
>could equally be assigned to the funeral home who wrote the obits.
>Apologies for not having the link as I just read it and moved on.

Larry,

I'm guessing you're thinking of the Times-Tribune vs Times Leader
lawsuit, both PA newspapers.
http://obituaryforum.blogspot.com/2008/11/times-tribune-claims-newspaper.html

While the Judge dismissed the majority of the claims in September,
the lawsuit has been allowed to move forward on the remaining claims.
http://www.standardspeaker.com/news/judge_dismisses_some_counts_in_newspaper_s_lawsuit_against_competitor

It will be interesting to watch.

Pat Asher