[APG Public List] Copyright and obits

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Wed Nov 4 13:00:24 MST 2009

There is on the internet an unverified account of an attempted copyright
suit between two newspapers. One was reprinting the other's obits. The judge
threw out the suit saying that copyright could equally be assigned to the
funeral home who wrote the obits. Apologies for not having the link as I
just read it and moved on.

Judge ruled that a related suit was bogus anyway because the second paper
reprinting the obits didn't take away any cash value gained from paid obits
service offered by the first paper (since the 2nd paper didn't provide an
obit service).

So the factor seems to have been loss of income. If I went and bought a slew
of obits from a paper, then put them up online in their original form,
making them available for free instead, I'd assume that definitely I could
be seen as having deprived the paper of cash value every time someone
downloaded the obit from my site.

However, if I extracted the barebones genealogical information and put that
up instead, clearly it wouldn't be copyright violation (or as one editor
suggested, just changed the word order and use a direct abstract). The
barebones information as to relationships of people mentioned to the
deceased is public information available elsewhere too.

or so I would guess (emphasis on 'guess').

On an aside, funeral homes as the originators of obits, is that a widespread
practice?  Are there copies held by them (come to think of it I've found
copies in funeral records but assumed it was taken from the newspaper
source).

Larry