[APG Public List] Genealogical Proof Standard (Was The reliabilityof federal census records for genealogi...)

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Wed Nov 4 09:49:18 MST 2009

Jeanette wrote:
> If you are constantly trying to determine how an individual source
measures up to the GPS, you have missed the point of what research is
(generally the use of multiple sources to come to conclusions) and what it
proves.

Jeanette, if someone is "constantly trying to determine how an individual
source measures up to the GPS," then they've misunderstood the GPS. The GPS
is not the culprit. It is an explicit statement of the principles you call
for-the use of wide-ranging sources, sound research methodology, and
analytical reasoning.

> As genealogists, we should never "force something to be right."

Here, Jeanette, I'm puzzled again. How does the GPS "force something to to
be right"?

Elizabeth