[APG Public List] Fw: Genealogical Proof Standard (Was The reliabilityof federal census records for genealogi...)

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 4 09:31:13 MST 2009

Jeanette,

I must agree with you here.  Many genealogists do tend to get caught up in the details of "meeting the GPS," rather than honing research skills.  In talking with some "transitional genealogists" both on the mailing list and in other settings, I see a tendency to want to know everything out of a book rather than just jumping into the records to learn through experience.

Personally, as my writing displays, I do believe that the Genealogical Proof Standard -- and the other standards put forth by the BCG, for example -- do outline a general process for accurate research and analysis.  After all, as genealogists, records will only take us so far, and then we must rely on our powers of evaluating the reliability of information held in the records, and correlating the various sources of information to arrive at the BEST possible information.  Also recognizing, of course, that should new information surface, we must be prepared to alter our conclusions.  Analysis of documents is key.

As valuable as books like EVIDENCE EXPLAINED are for experienced researchers who understand the difference between the "art of citation" vs. the "science of citation," and the principles of records analysis, I think that they sometimes also can hinder less experienced researchers, who try to, as you put it, "fit a square peg in a round hole," in order to match what they think they are reading in EE.

This is one of the main points that I was attempting to convey in the article about the reliability of census records.  Because the informant on census records is unknown, some of these same researchers tend to automatically dismiss the information as unreliable.  I believe, however, that we must recognize that the information was provided by SOMEONE.  Just because we do not know who provided the information, does not mean that it is unreliable.  It just means that we cannot necessarily take it as our sole source of information unless nothing else is available.  And in these cases, we should treat it as any other record that serves as the sole source for any fact, where the informant is unknown.

Michael Hait
http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com
Author, The Family History Research Toolkit
Instructor, "African-American Genealogy", GenClass
African-American Genealogy Examiner