[APG Public List] The reliability of federal census records for genealogi...

JFonkert at aol.com JFonkert at aol.com
Tue Nov 3 17:15:21 MST 2009

Michael,

I think your assessment is mostly correct, although I would quibble with
how you stated the question.  In your email, you asked: "does my analysis
conform to the Genealogical Proof Standard?" Ordinarily, this is a question we
 would ask of someone's research and analysis of a genealogical problem.
Did the search, analysis and conclusion meet the expectations of the GPS?

Your article asks if census manuscripts meet the GPS.  I think this is  not
quite the right question.  I think you are really asking: what do I  need
to consider when evaluating information from a census manuscript?  You  hit
on the central problems: who gave and who recorded the information?   Did
they have reason to know the facts? Did they have any motive to give false
information?

I would also quibble with the statement that the GPS "prescribes a
fool-proof method: a reasonably exhaustive search." A reasonably exhaustive  search
is certainly a good thing, but to say a reasonably exhaustive search  makes
your research fool-proof is probably a bit over optimistic.  Your
conclusion, however, is sound: information from any source should be correlated
(and hopefully corroborated) with information from other sources.  As I say  in
an article I wrote for Family Chronicle, do the Three C's:  correlate,
corroborate and conclude.

Thanks for sharing our article.  It is good food for thought.

Jay Fonkert, CG
St. Paul, MN

In a message dated 11/3/2009 5:22:40 P.M. Central Standard Time,