[APG Public List] Obituaries and copyright

Pat Asher pjroots at att.net
Tue Nov 3 14:28:24 MST 2009

At 11:14 AM 11/3/2009, Leslie Drewitz wrote:
>My opinion is that these "death notices" are public domain and are not
>even written by the newspapers that carry them (my daughter is a funeral
>director and advises that every funeral home has a preferred "plug in"
>obituary form that they use to compose death notices).

If you want to get technical, "obituaries" are those articles written
by newspaper staffers on the death of a prominent local.  They
usually appear on the front or second page of a Section.

The list of recent deaths on the "obituary page" are probably more
correctly called "death notices".

The latter are quite often composed using a boiler-plate from the
newspaper or funeral home and contain little or no original
expression, which is required for copyright.

The COPYRIGHT-L archives contain several threads on the subject of
copyright of obituaries.  While the archives contain a total of
35,940,830 documents/posts, searching for "obit" (without the quotes)
in the body of the message using Advanced Search returns 39
documents.  As an answer to your specific question, I recommend
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/copyright/2006-01/1136608871

Pat Asher