[APG Public List] age on shiplists

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Nov 2 13:29:47 MST 2009

I wouldn't assume that each person gave their own information. Servants
likely didn't, nor would children or elderly relatives. Also you likely have
a language problem here, maybe someone who didn't fully understand the
question.  Or alternatively an answer misheard or mistinterpreted because of
accent or language. Or misheard by a disinterested ship's officer who was
processing dozens of people who couldn't speak the same language.  Or the
question as to age simply misunderstood completely. I've found so called
"ages" that instead seemed to match how long a person had lived in a given
place.

Valet, male, personal 'man'servant serving a male in the household.

Larry