[APG Public List] Digitizing 35mm slides

Catherine Desmarais stonehouseresearch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 09:56:51 MST 2009

I have quite a few 3-D slides from the 1950s that my dad took. The clarity
is astonishing in a 3-D viewer. I wanted to digitize them to use in a
digital photo story DVD and in a photo book, and I couldn't find any place
that could digitize the 3-D format. The mounts didn't fit in the slide
mounts on a scanner. Fortunately I had his old projector. I purchased a
piece of white foam board and mounted it on the wall and projected the slide
on that. I set up my camera on a tripod and photographed the image. The
results were not bad, definitely usable. I would love to learn of a device
that would allow them to be scanned at home or a commercial service that
could scan them, though, if anyone has any recommendations. Thank you!

Cathi Desmarais

Stone House Historical Research
Genealogical and Forensic Research
Heirloom Albums and Family Tree Charts