[APG Public List] Digitizing 35mm slides

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Sun Dec 27 07:49:38 MST 2009

I used a digital camera on a high res setting, and a homemade back lit
holder (translucent white plastic with a flourescent fixture behind it  (you
need to set the light so that there isn't a strongly lit focus or 'hot spot'
where some slides are lit differently than others).  Use an indoor or
flourescent setting on the camera.  Camera is simply left squared up to the
holder, and on a tripod until I've completed however many slides I need to
scan.  Have done hundreds of slides in no time at all (inherited a
collection of 3000 slides that needed to be copied).  Line the slides up,
'click'....next batch.

You can buy these back lit displays secondhand from a photo store but it's
easy to make one up

I find about 8-10 slides grouped together works best.  Then open the result
in any graphics/photo editor and cut/paste each image out (lowers the
resolution of each individual image, but still easily high enough to display
digitally or print out in a standard sized print).

Better results than my scanner (which has a slide scanner built in), and
much faster.  But of course not worth setting up if you're just doing a
handful of slides.

Larry