[APG Public List] Julian to Gregorian in source citation

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Dec 21 16:12:30 MST 2009

Not an American/Canadian thing, a Larry-ism (mistake)

But that aside, the use of that kind of noting of the Julian date always
gives an inaccurate Gregorian date because it doesn't take into account the
slippage?  What's the origin of noting the Julian/Gregorian date in this
fashion?

Depending on the date itself it can give a completely wrong year to the
Gregorian date.

In one search I had decided that there wasn't enough time for a certain
named person in an event in location A, at a given time to have been the
similarly named person at another event in location B at a different time
because I was ignoring the extra days that an accurate Gregorian date would
add.

Normally we wouldn't accept such inaccuracy, where known.  Why do we accept
it by simply using the double year notation?

Or am I off the mark completely here

Larry