[APG Public List] Julian to Gregorian in source citation

eshown at comcast.net eshown at comcast.net
Sun Dec 20 21:56:08 MST 2009

>So if the birth was 6 Feb 1680 in Julian calendar we'd record it as 6 Feb
1680/81.

This may be an "American" thing vs. Canadian thing, but the long-standing
American genealogical convention for writing the year, when Julian-Gregorian
double-dating is involved, would call for writing this as 6 February 1680/1.
(I.e., only one digit is used past the slash.)

The rendition of the second year in two digits is the style used by CMOS and
most generic style guides for situations in which a range of years is
discussed (i.e., 1680-81). Of course, savvy genealogists know that the slash
or virgule is used in place of the en dash/hyphen when double dating is
involved, so they would correctly interpret Larry's date. But many newer
genealogists do use the hyphen and the slash interchangeably and then
naively render dates as 1680-81 or 1680/81 when they are simply uncertain
about a year. Ergo, the American convention of using only one digit after
the slash is a "visual signal" that a Julian-Gregorian double-dating issue
is involved.

For guides that illustrate the American convention, we have
- Val Greenwood's classic _Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy_, 3d.
ed., pp. 44-45;
- Henry Hoff's _Genealogical Writing ... Register Style and More_, 17;
- Hatcher's _Producing a Quality Family History_, 38; and
- Donn Devine's Chap. 1 in ProGen, p. 6.

Elizabeth