[APG Public List] Free genealogical lectures on web

Debbie Parker Wayne debbie at debbiewayne.com
Sun Dec 20 11:29:00 MST 2009

Hi Barbara,

I agree completely that for a large number of APG members the choice of
Silverlight may have presented no problem. And I also agree having good
quality images of the slides and being able to see and hear the lecturer
is a good way to present these programs. Maybe these things made
Silverlight a good choice. Since I no longer work for a computer company
my knowledge about new products is based only on magazine articles and
online tech sites that I read. I can't say with certainty if Silverlight
was the best choice or not. But what I do know is I can not afford to
risk losing or impairing access to my computer in the middle of a
project by installing a program with many problems reported on computers
with a similar configuration to mine.

Without doing some investigation of the options available I can't offer
an opinion on what program might have been a better choice. If APG has
or creates a committee to help advise on technical matters I would be
happy to serve, as I would guess some of the other more technical APG
members would be. At the very least, we should be able to explain to the
members why certain choices were made that limit the usability of an
offering by all members. Those choices will always exist. For example, I
will probably never be able to take the Boston University certificate
program. I only have access to satellite or dial-up internet from my
location. I was told the BU program requires higher-speed access to
function properly. In this case my choice of residence limits my
options. Although I am disappointed I fully understand why I cannot
participate in the BU program.

I tried to carefully phrase my comments so they would not be taken as a
criticism of what has been done for the PMC lectures. But I would like
to know that when APG leaders do have control over the process for
offerings such as this, which they didn't have in this case,
consideration will be given to making the offering usable for as many
members as possible--Mac, Windows, LINUX, or whatever--or explain why
the limitations exist.

As I mentioned, our computers are important tools in our businesses.
Most of us can't afford to lose time restoring our computer after some
program has caused a problem. I was a test/diagnostic engineer for many
years and I am probably more cautious about installing programs than
many people are. Having been burned many times over the years I never
install new software without investigating first to see what negative
impact there might be and making a FULL backup. One of my computer goals
is to always have a full backup--but never, ever need to use it. <smile>

As I stated in my previous message, I am just offering opinions. I know
not everyone will agree with my opinions. I try to consider that most
computer users allow Microsoft complete control over the MS software and
patches that get installed on their computers, but more and more people
are moving to Mac and/or to Open Software. More people are moving to
netbooks that generally are less powerful than a desktop. I would hope
our leaders will consider this as they make decisions that will impact
the membership.

Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne
Wayne Research -- http://debbiewayne.com/