[APG Public List] Julian to Gregorian in source citation

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Sun Dec 20 10:48:26 MST 2009

I took a run at this off list, suggesting the use of double year notation
for the overlap period in dates expressed in Julian format is the
traditional approach, but Debbie points out that there's also the shift in
days (12 by 1923) that has to be accounted for because the Julian calendar
by 1923 had become 12 days ahead of the Gregorian. (by 1752 it was 11 days
out of whack).

Because the Julian calendar year (new year) starts 25 Mar in any given,
while of course the Gregorian new year begins 1 Jan, traditionally we'd use
the double notation system in the overlap period between when the Gregorian
new year began, and when the Julian later begins that same numbered year
(where the Julian year 'intrudes' into the new Gregorian year before
entering the same year after 26 Mar).

So if the birth was 6 Feb 1680 in Julian calendar we'd record it as 6 Feb
1680/81.  But that doesn't take into account that the Gregorian date is
actually 10-12 days earlier (depending on the time period).

I don't know where this idea of double notation came from (historians?), but
isn't it actually redundant given that we should be listing the julian date
*and* the fully corrected gregorian date?

If Greece changed to Gregorian on 1 Jan 1923, and was in Julian calendar to
that year, then that would mean a birth previous to 1923 in the Julian
calendar (and in the overlap period of 1 Jan to 24 Mar) would be listed by
double year notation.  For example,  say 4 Jan 1920 would be written
normally as 4 Jan 1920/21.  But the actual Gregorian equivalent date for 4
Jan 1920 in the Julian calendar would have fallen 12 days later in Gregorian
calendar month of December, but in *1920* not 1921.  If you saw only the
double year notation, you could think the Gregorian date is 4 Jan 1921.

Given that sometimes later on  sometimes only the Gregorian birth year
format is adopted, with the Julian dropped in a family file mistake of years
could be a problem.  The double year notation in the above case doesn't get
even the year right.

Maybe all Julian dates should be shown   Julian date  /  corrected Gregorian
date.   The double notation serves no purpose.

But this is all from meandering around,  is there anything I've messed up in
the above?

Larry