[APG Public List] Julian to Gregorian in source citation

Debbie Petrides petrides at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 20 05:29:24 MST 2009

I was hoping to understand how to express Julian dates in my newspaper sources.  I have too many such documents because Greece switched to the Gregorian calendar late (1923).

A. In certain wills, dowries, etc. what I currently do (feel free to correct me if this is wrong) is something like this:

Last Will and Testament of Stamatios Stephanou Casanova, 9 June 1905 (22 June 1905 NS); bk. 919, pp. 66r.-66vº, document no. 274; Notarial Codex of Dafnonas (1862 - 1914); Genika Apxeia toy Kratoys (General State Archives), Chios, Greece. In the narrative I use the NS throughout and allow the citation to speak for the date conversion.

 B. If this same source refers to an event occurring on another Julian date, I also express that as NS in the narrative but include an additional note after the citation explaining why.

For example: Stamatios died before 4 Aug 1906.

Last Will and Testament of Stamatios Stephanou Casanova, 9 June 1905 (22 June 1905 NS); bk. 919, pp. 66r.-66vº, document no. 274; Notarial Codex of Dafnonas (1862 - 1914); Genika Apxeia toy Kratoys (General State Archives), Chios, Greece. Notation states will probated on 22 July 1906 (4 August 1906 NS).

What do you all think of this? It is ok to do this?

The wills and those types of documents have been dealt with in this manner.

Now I have newspapers pre Gregorian.

Can I handle them the same way?

The reason I’m in a quandary is because of two reasons. The date given in the citation for the newspaper is meant to help the reader relocate the article and maybe noting the NS version is unnecessary in the same manner? Would it be better to use method B and put all explanations at the end of the citation?

I’m sure there are many issues that have escaped me but the newspaper citations seem so much more inflexible and before I work on them I needed some advice.

I’ll just keep the questions coming as long as they inspire debate.

Debbie Sideratos-Petrides