[APG Public List] Free genealogical lectures on web

Debbie Parker Wayne debbie at debbiewayne.com
Fri Dec 18 12:22:38 MST 2009

Carolyn,

I haven't been able to view the presentations either. I was very
disappointed in the choice of Silverlight, especially now that so many
of us are getting Netbook's and may not want to install a lot of bloated
software we don't use for anything else. I considered biting the bullet
and installing Silverlight, but I found lots of reported compatibility
issues between Silverlight and Firefox. Nothing will convince me to use
Internet Explorer or to install Silverlight until it is a more mature
and compatible product.

I wish APG, FamilySearch, and others would consider that even those of
us who use PCs don't want to install every new fad program. My computer
is not a toy. It is a vital part of my business that I can't afford to
lose by installing new, untested programs with known problems.

I'm expressing a personal opinion and not trying to start a Microsoft /
Open Software or Mac / PC war. Just hoping to get the powers that be to
consider what an imposition it is to require users to constantly install
new programs and new versions just to view a video clip. When I worked
for a computer company it was easier to have multiple computers and
designate one as a crash-and-burn test system to check out new things.
It isn't as easy now that I have to pay for all the equipment myself or
take a chance some new program will break some other necessary tool on a
vital piece of equipment.

Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne
Wayne Research -- http://debbiewayne.com/