[APG Public List] Need Help in Kentucky

Alvie L. Davidson CG floridasearch at verizon.net
Wed Dec 16 07:45:21 MST 2009

Good morning friends,

I need someone who might live in or near Pike or Letcher County, KY or maybe
in or near Frankfort, KY who can access newspapers covering the early part
of the 20th century.

My goal is to locate an obituary for a minister who died in Jenkins, Letcher
County, KY on 15 June 1916.

He is Rev. Caleb H. HAYNES.  He is buried in Marshall's Branch Cemetery on
or near the border between Pike & Letcher County.

I have spoken with the librarian at Letcher County, KY Library and she told
me they did not have any newspapers that old but maybe the state library
might have something.

The county seat of Letcher County is Whitesburg and the Whitesburg "Mountain
Eagle" newspaper began publication in 1907 and was published weekly on
Thursday.

The county seat of Pike County is Pikeville and the Pikeville "Pike County
News" began publication in 1889 and was published weekly on Thursday.

I am unable to locate any other newspapers for the region.

I checked the county clerk in Letcher County and was told Rev. Haynes did
not have a probate filed in their offices.

Anyone who can help, please email me directly.

Thanks

Alvie L. Davidson CG
Lakeland, Florida
http://alviesgenealogyspot.blogspot.com