[APG Public List] East Baton Rouge marriage licenses

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG Elissa at PowellGenealogy.com
Tue Dec 15 07:10:13 MST 2009

Pennsylvania "locked up" their military discharges because of the SSN
numbers on them. They date back to the Civil War. I asked the clerk to see
them. He had to get his supervisor who said it was the law. She asked if I
wanted to see the law. I said yes. She went back to her office to find it.
The first clerk gets a call at the front desk. Yes, let me have access but
they had to search the index and it would be a $5 cost for the search
whether found or not.

Apparently she found the law and actually read it this time which does state
about public access for a "reasonable charge." I know she made the charge up
on the spot. Guess I wasn't too annoying or it could have been $10. <G>

Bottom line - Know the law or have them produce it for you.

-- Elissa in Pittsburgh

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG

www.PowellGenealogy.com