[APG Public List] false email addresses

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 12:36:04 MST 2009

Larry;

--- On Tue, 12/8/09, LBoswell <laboswell at rogers.com> wrote:

> I've received a couple of emails suggesting I look at a certain link
> concerning genealogy. Problem is that on the surface they look like
> addresses of people that I know. But what alerted me was how it was
> phrased (looked like typical spam wording, big Hi! and then the
> suggestion). The two today seem to be from people I have listed as
> Facebook contacts rather than lists.
>
> just a word of caution to watch for these.

     That's an interesting new variation! Thanks for the warning. I would add one suggestion to it - be sure you're using a browser which lets you do this, and check the destination of the link before you click on it. Even if the message looks completely legitimate.
     There are only two types of links it is 100% safe to trust: ones you created yourself, and ones you check the destination of before you visit.
     Of course, there is another level of protection everyone should have. Most "drive-by" malware points back to known bad servers, so get a reasonably up-to-date list, and put it in your HOSTS file. That way, when you know where you're going, but that site has been hacked, you will still sometimes be safe. Not always, but every bit helps.
                                 Ray Beere Johnson II