[APG Public List] CA Deaths before 1920

Stephen Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Wed Dec 2 18:31:27 MST 2009

Cheryl,

One thing to keep in mind is that Pasadena is one of the few cities in California that has its own vital
records office. Most vital records are kept at the county level, but Pasadena has its own.

For more information on obtaining a death record from Pasadena go to
http://tinyurl.com/y9xyv2g .  They say they will fulfill requests within 5 days.

Also realize that, in California, there are two different types of vital records: Authorized Certified
Copies (which are available only to Authorized Individuals) and Informational Copies that are
stamped "informational, not a valid document to establish identity", although how someone would
use a pre-1920 death certificate as proof of identity is beyond my ability to comprehend such
matters.

Be sure to request an Informational Copy, if that is what you want, because requests for
Authorized Certified Copies must be accompanied by a notarized, sworn statement confirming the
requestor's identity.

The Pasadena Office of Vital Records has records as far back as 1893 for birth records and 1897
for death records; however, records prior to 1930 are in the archives and there is no same day or
next day service for records prior to 1930.

Kind regards,
Stephen J. Danko, PLCGS
http://www.stephendanko.com/