[APG Public List] Electrical Storm Protection

Bonnie Kohler kohlerbj at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 30 12:25:11 MDT 2009

I know we don't like "me too" posts, but I live in the lightning capital of
the world - Florida.

My solution---after multiple losses due to lightning strikes---was to have
an electrician install a whole-house surge protector. It's wired into my
circuit breaker. In addition, I have APC brand surge protectors plugged into
all of my electronics. And, finally, I have an insurance policy that costs
$2.50/mo. that is tacked onto my electric bill that will help with
replacement costs if I incur damages due to a power surge.

In my case, I think my neighbor's tall trees in his front yard were
funneling the electricity from the lightning along the ground and into my
house. The trees were damaged in the hurricanes, and I haven't had a problem
since. The trees are growing back, so we'll see if my system of protection
is any good.

Bonnie Dunphy Kohler
APG member, Lightning Capital of the World