[APG Public List] OT - deal on HP 88 ink cartridges

Carolyn Earle Billingsley cebillingsley at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 30 11:04:30 MDT 2009

Same thing happened to my Jim. Thunderstorm last week, with no
_apparent_ lightening strike in the area (no trees, etc., hit) but blew
out his modem, his keyboard and mouse (not computer), two TVs (but not a
third one), his cordless phones, his satellite TV system, and his
automatic adjustable bed (naturally it "froze" in a weird position!).
Did not get refrigerator, freezer, other things.

Also it did not damage anything in other family members' houses,
although we're all clustered together.

Most everything was hooked up to surge protectors. I whined and asked,
what use are surge protectors; aren't they supposed to prevent that? And
Jim--who knows more about practical things like electricity than I'll
ever know about genealogy--said nothing stops lightning.

I *will* say, however, that one of my daughters had one of those surge
protectors with a guarantee. When lightning blew out her computer, she
actually had the guarantee and sales receipt, and was able to take
advantage of the guarantee to get money for a new computer. Of course,
she had to go through hell to get it. But how many of us know where our
surge protector guarantees are?

And, yet, what are you to do? Around here, it can come up a thunderstorm
twice a day, on many days. And lightning can strike out of the blue,
literally, even when there's no immediate storm. Do you really think I
have the time to stop working and go around the house unplugging all my
electrical appliances every single time? Lightning is lightning. If it's
really close, unplug what is most important to you. But mostly, it's
just one of those things that you hope doesn't happen.

Keep backups of everything. Like others, I use Mozy, plus various
external hard drives.

Regards, Carolyn