[APG Public List] 19th century middle initials and names

Tom Jones Tom at JonesResearchServices.com
Thu Aug 27 16:56:26 MDT 2009

This is a question that may be more likely answered the other way around
--- when a likely eponym is discovered, you'll have evidence for
deducing the middle name, rather than being able to use it to discover
kinship ties. Born about 1777 and in Kentucky by 1795, this man was
likely a Virginian. I've seen relatively few middle names and initials,
especially for men, in the time and place. Nearly all are namesakes. For
most colonial Virginians the eponym was just about as likely to be a
prominent neighbor or official as a relative.

Does your man have a Germanic surname? Virginians born into families
connected to German-speaking Europe might be more likely to have a
middle name than most Virginians, but theirs could be the name of a
saint, relative, godparent, or all three. In a few cases a middle
initial may signify the father's or mother's surname, if the man was
illegitimate or for some other reason experienced ambiguity about his
surname. I've also seen rare instances where a middle initial
abbreviated the first part of a complicated surname ---- John S. Barger
for John Shufflebarger. If your man was born a few decades later with
the first name of John, and depending on the parents' religion, the
middle initial C might have stood for Calvin. In any case, a middle
initial that does not abbreviate a name would be highly unusual in
eighteenth-century Virginia. ---- Tom