[APG Public List] SS-5 parents' names blackened out

Eileen Souza eileen.souza at verizon.net
Thu Aug 27 15:20:24 MDT 2009

Recently, we had a thread where people were noticing that some of the SS-5s they received had the parents' names blackened.  I work for Social Security (in information technology) so I did a little research.  What I have learned is that the FOIA analysts who handle your requests use the Rule of 65 as their guideline.  What this means is that if the subject of the request is under 65 and no proof has been submitted of their parents' deaths, the analyst will check our files to see if they can find a record of the deaths of the subjects' parents.  If they do not find this evidence in our records, they redact the names.

Eileen Souza
Eldersburg, MD
eileen.souza at verizon.net