[APG Public List] 19th century middle initials and names

jfonkert at aol.com jfonkert at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 12:00:14 MDT 2009

The name is "John C._______"? ?I have no other evidence for the parents of this man; if I knew his full middle name, it might point toward family relationships.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carolyn Earle Billingsley <cebillingsley at earthlink.net>
To: jfonkert at aol.com
Cc: apgpubliclist at apgen.org
Sent: Thu, Aug 27, 2009 12:09 pm
Subject: Re: [APG Public List] 19th century middle initials and names

Jay, in my experience, which is, of course, not all inclusive, my opinion is that he did, indeed, HAVE a middle name, which may even have been a female forebearer's surname.

He may also have used the initial to differentiate himself from another person with his first name.

But I do not think _all_ he had was an initial for a middle name, although he used it that way.

I'd also like to know what his _first_ name was, as some given names are paired together--such as William Asbury, Martin Luther, George Washington, Finish Leech, Oliver Hazard Perry, Marcus Aurelius, etc. Regards, Carolyn

Carolyn Earle Billingsley, Ph.D.
Member APG, Lone Star Chapter
www.cebillingsley.net

jfonkert at aol.com wrote:

Good morning to all.? I am working on a man who lived in Kentucky from about 1795-1825, probably born about 1777.? Throughout this Kentucky period, he was consistently known with the middle initial "C."?? A full middle name is never spelled out.? Can anyone tell me, is it likely that "C." stood for a middle given name?? Or might it have just been an initial?

?

?
Jay Fonkert, CG