[APG Public List] 19th century middle initials and names

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG Elissa at PowellGenealogy.com
Thu Aug 27 09:03:35 MDT 2009

Jay,

What was his first name? It could tell you if the middle name had meaning.
For example, George W. Smith could have been George Washington Smith. Or the
C. could just be an initial. My grandfather did not have a middle name at
birth. He adopted just an initial later. Doesn't stand for anything.

-- Elissa

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG

www.PowellGenealogy.com

FromOn Behalf Of jfonkert at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:54 AM

I am working on a man who lived in Kentucky from about 1795-1825, probably
born about 1777.  Throughout this Kentucky period, he was consistently known
with the middle initial "C."   A full middle name is never spelled out.  Can
anyone tell me, is it likely that "C." stood for a middle given name?  Or
might it have just been an initial?